5 Years later, Really?

So it's been over 5 years since I started this blog. How did that go so quickly?

Anyway I suppose it's an accomplishment that I'm still the same size as I was 5 years ago, but it sure feels like a hollow victory.

I need to find a way to start making some incremental progress. It's going to be a long process I'm sure of.

I turned 40 years old last October and I seriously don't know that I'll live to see my kids graduate HS at this point much less know my grandkids.

My short term approach increase my activity level and cut down on my food intake.

The intake is the key to losing weight, my head knows this but it doesn't stop me from snacking or over indulging at meals.

Activity level is a little easier for me to tackle, most days I take the stairs up to my 5th floor cube in the mornings. I've been taking a nearly 2 mile walk at least 3 times a week. It makes a huge difference, I feel much better.

I got a bike for father's day last year and had a goal to ride it to the pool with by kids before the end of the summer. That didn't happen so my first short term goal is to be ready to ride bikes to the pool before father's day this year to the pool.

To meet this goal I'm convinced I need to take the following actions:
  1. Continue doing the stairs daily
  2. Walk 2 miles (3) times per week
  3. Bike for 30 minutes (3) times per week
  4. Track my intake daily
  5. Blog here at a minimum of weekly about my progress to hold myself accountable


Next committed update is 4/29

Comments

  1. Phil, I think there are two aspects of struggle I read in here. #1 thinking you need to starve yourself. #2 overindulgence. For #1 I don't think that's ever sustainable. Maybe occasionally but not on a daily basis. I think your body is telling it needs some nutrient so it's telling you to eat hoping you put that nutrient in. I can tell you when I eat healthy I just automatically eat less (over the course of a few weeks). Trick is learning to like green things with few calories but lots of nitrients. #2 I struggle here myself, I stress eat. Best I've been able to do is fill myself up on very low carb salad, then endulge. This way there is not physically enough room to overdo it. If you are so full of lettuce, there just isn't enough room for 3 slices of cake. Maybe few bites and you are happy. I know it sounds crazy but it has worked for me before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly this week I've not been starving. Tracking the food helps because I know if I have calories left or not

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1 Year in, 100 lbs gone

Only 3 weeks in?

9 Round and other musings