Why Me Lord?

We went to the coast for the week of the 4th.  It was a good trip.  We didn't do very well fishing, maybe we can schedule a fall fishing trip, but we got a busy fall lined up already.

We did our 5k at the beach.  It was a slow run for us we were both about 5 min off our PR paces.  The boy did win for his age group though!  I was just thankful to finish, luckily it wasn't nearly as hot as I'd expected but it was still plenty warm.

We did our now annual swim accross Tubb's Inlet.  I couldn't keep up with the kids they are both in much better shape than me and much faster swimmers but we all did well.


We've decided to do another 5k this Friday.  It was pretty cheap and will give us a chance to maybe improve on our bad race times a couple weeks ago.

This is a tough stretch for me with my both my mom and grandfathers bday's being close together.  It's been easier this year than last but still a pretty tough week.

Last week Jared Lorenzen passed away.  He was 38 and lost his battle with obesity.  His story from from 2014 by Tommy Tomlinson helped me come to grips with not being alone as obese and active.  Also around that same time I saw articles about Jordan Gross dropping weight after retiring.  These stories planted a seed that I needed to do something.   Granted it took another year and half before I got serious about it, but it was validating to know that a) I wasn't alone and b) that if a NFL caliber big man could drop the weight I could do that as well.  Being big couldn't be any more a part of my identity that it was his right?  That was kind of freeing to think about looking back.  Ironically I'm still 'bigun' just not quite as big.  Tommy's piece on on Jared's death says more than I ever could.  I didn't know him but he was definitely part of my journey.  His death like John Candy and Chris Farley affected me more than it probably should have.  This time though I was able to say well at least I've done something to lessen my odds of meeting that fate.  It's very sobering to realize one significant illness can take you out even with millions in the bank and the best health care in the world available to you.  At the end of the day I don't know why I was able to make the turn around and others haven't.  It goes back to the old Johnny Cash song Why Me Lord?

I've put on a few pounds this summer with being out of routine and indulging too much in good food and ice cream.  I'm getting back on track this week though going back to 9Round and my walk/run routine.  I'm motivated to get on track and hopefully finish this year down rather than up.

Next committed update: 7/25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 Year in, 100 lbs gone

Eclipse is drawing near

9 Round and other musings