Late but big update.

 So I missed my last update for April.  I meant to do it, but got busy and just didn't.  April was 5 year anniversary of this journey to get into better shape.  I think I'm likely in the best shape I've ever been in, but I admit I was whooped after a 9Round workout the last week of April.  My buddy is selling the place so I had to go get one workout in with him before he left.  I got both my vaccines so I think it was pretty safe.







I started tracking my food again May 1st and weighing in.  I was up to 294 on 5/1.  I was back down to 288.8 by 5/7.  I was out of pocket some this weekend and didn't track my food well, but I'm starting back today. 

This past weekend was quite simply amazing and one I'll cherish forever.  I took Friday off because I wanted to go get a truck I've been dreaming of having since I was 14 years old.  Before we left Friday I did my 7 miles for the week and set a 10k PR by 2 min 40 seconds.  

In the 8th grade we were assigned to write a paper on what our dream car would be.  I can tell you I doubt I ever took any other paper I was assigned to write more seriously.  I think I may have turned it in late, because I spent so much time looking through a car book I had and at car magazines, talking to my Grandfather.  I legit put more effort and thought into the paper than anything else I had ever done in my life.  I settled on an early 60's model Chevy pickup.  I've wanted once since then, even had posters of them on my walls until I got married.  Timing just never worked out, at 16 I didn't have the funds to buy one and ended up with a 78 ford I scrapped up $ 275 to buy from a family friend.  It wasn't what I wanted for sure, but I was damn proud to drive it around at the time.

Fast forward 30 some odd years and I got a chance to buy a 1960 Chevy short bed set up as a rat rod so I took it.  It was over in Maryville, TN about 5 hours from home so getting it was going to be a challenge.  I talked with my wife about it several times and then talked to the kids about it.  We settled on a plan to go over on Friday see the truck then do a bit of sight seeing on Saturday and head back.  The cost of rooms over there due to Mother's Day and college graduations was kinda crazy, but I found a cabin in Sevierville that was a tolerable amount so we set off with 2 dogs.  It was a cramped ride there for sure in the Pilot.  I put in a trailer light harness in case we ended up needing to tow the truck back home.

Friday night I took the kids to ride go-karts.  Saturday we got to see a covered bridge and go to Cades Cove.  My grandmother's family was kicked out of Cades Cove a few generations ago, we used to go every few years growing up.  We'd visit the Shields Cabin some of our ancestors had lived in.  I've missed going over the years, so I was super excited to take my wife and kids to see the cabin and the place.  It is more beautiful than I remember, likely because back then I really didn't pay much attention to things like that.


After Cades Cove we headed back home and stopped so the kids could ride some horses, my daughter had seen the sign on the way in.  They had an absolute blast riding them.  Maybe a new hobby for my daughter we'll have to see.

Here's a photo of the truck once we go home Saturday night:

I'm doing the Harrisburg 5K this coming weekend.  I doubt the boy will join me he's nursing a sore IT band on his left leg, hopefully it will heal up in the next week or so.  He's been out of running now for 3 weeks I think.  He's so bored he has resorted to swimming laps at the community pool to get some energy out.

I'm sure I'll have more updates on the truck as time goes on.  It needs some new door handles that lock a new speedometer cable and an adjustment to the parking brake for now.  The rest can wait and be done in time.  Been waiting 30 years for this truck so I got plenty of time to work and tweak on the rest of it over the years.

Next committed update: 5/28

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 Year in, 100 lbs gone

Only 3 weeks in?

9 Round and other musings